In 2017, we're running our Greece oceanswimsafari through the Northern Sporades islands of Mamamia for small groups of 4-8 people. Our Northern Sporades oceanswimsafaris are amongst our most spectacular trips. In 2017, we're planning a bigger and better yacht -- a very comfortable, spacious catamaran -- sailing, swimming, tavernas... Swimming, sailing, grazing through the Greek Islands. Dates are September 26-October 5, including nights in port at either end.
We'll be back in the land of Jason and the Argonauts: Greece's Northern Sporades islands, where we'll sail and swim for a week with all our food from local markets and tavernas. We're going a bit later than we have in the past, and this is good: it means we have available better, larger yachts as our sailing base for our travels.
This is a blissful, idyllic oceanswimsafari through the waters sailed by Jason in his search for the Golden Fleece. It's the land of Mamma Mia (the movie was made in the Northern Sporades, much of it on the island of Skopelos). The Northern Sporades is an isolated island chain, popular with local holidaymakers, but not well known to international tourists. It's a chain of islands of stunning, craggy beauty, olde worlde Greek seafaring charm, and waters of pristine clarity.
We'll meet in Skiathos, the "capital" of the Northern Sporades (you can fly in here or catch a ferry from Volos). Away from the tourist masses of the Cyclades down south, you are bound to fall in love with this region where time has stood still and you have only sunrise and sunset to judge the days of your cruise.
We will discover uninhabited harbours and islands where we can swim, cook and be transported to a time where the sea was at one with the ancient Hellenes.
We will visit hidden villages in the hilltops of Skopelos and Alonissos. We'll visit one of the Mediterranean's best restaurants, hidden away in a perched mountain-top town of Skopelos. We'll sing the tunes of Mamma Mia after imbibing in Greek hospitality. If conditions allow, we'll swim the strait of Jason, between Skopelos and Alonissos, where he and the Argonauts almost met their doom in a fierce storm.
We'll sail and swim where the wind takes us.
We aim to take one meal each day – either lunch or dinner – ashore in a local taverna with both other meals prepared aboard our yacht. Sydney's hottest chef, David Tsirekas, will guide us through the best of local produce and dishes. David prepares all our on-board meals.
Note that this is a tour best done by small groups of friends. If you come with your own group, we can offer you a better price.
Package price includes –
- 9 nights accommodation (ashore on Skiathos the nights before and after our voyage, aboard our yacht, and one night ashore mid-voyage)
- All food and local beers and wines during our week-long oceanswimsafari
- Crewed yacht, one week around Northern Sporades islands, Aegean Sea
- Swims led by oceanswimsafaris.com
- Programmed transfers during the voyage
- Entry fees and admissions as necessary during the voyage
Assemble and disperse on Skiathos (You can fly into Skiathos, or take the ferry from the nearby regional capital, Volos, which you can reach by car, bus or train from Athens or Thessaloniki.
- Tuesday, September 26 – Assemble in Skiathos ready for departure the next day.
- Wednesday, September 27 – Board our live-aboard yacht for our week-long oceanswimsafari around the Northern Sporades Islands (departure may be late afternoon, depending on weather, etc)
- Wednesday, October 4 - Return to port in Skiathos
- Thursday, October 5 – Farewell, and off to your next adventure.
- (Note that these dates are subject to confirmation by yacht suppliers. They may vary by about 1-3 days)
Package cost - c. $A5,630pp based on twin/double share (and depending on numbers in your group)
Note that this is a tour best done by small groups, so get your friends together to join you.
(Package price is kept under constant review in light of exchange rate movements.)
Package price does not include –
- Transfers to and from Skiathos (we're happy to advise you on getting there),
- Meals and drinks ashore before and after the voyage
- Non-programmed activities and transfers during the voyage
- Spirits, local or otherwise.
Note that numbers are limited strictly on this voyage to 4-8 swimmers (or fewer depending on booking configurations).
Enquiries and bookings
oceanswimsafaris.com/oceanswims.com are your tour operators handling all your bookings in association with this tour.
When you wish to make enquiries, please first lodge an Enquiry Form to give us basic information to allow us to advise you accurately... Click here
When you're ready to book, please first check terms and conditions... Click here
When you've checked our Terms and Conditions, you will be ready to lodge your Booking Form... Click here
With enquiries... Click here